Friday, July 11, 2008

Into the woods (and out of contact)

I leave tomorrow morning for Kibosho Hospital. I don't know much about the place - google maps shows it as a dot on the side of Mt. Kilimanjaro. I'm told that the hospital itself is a compound outside of the community of Kibosho, and that it's fairly large by Tanzanian standards. I and one other student (Zev) will be the only EWH students there, maybe even the only Westerners in the whole region. We'll be staying with Wilbard, the hospital's lone technical staff. I'm also told that internet may be slow or non-existent at the hospital. The nearest internet cafe is in Moshi, about an hour's drive away, so this will be the last post for a while.

I'm ready to go, I think. I wish I knew more Swahili, and I certainly don't feel like a qualified biomedical engineer, but I feel like the instructors have taught us as much as they can. Now it's time to get my hands dirty.